Wednesday 4 February 2015

Food for Thought on Food Choices

From my experience the past couple of years, eating the way that I have, I have really learned to listen to my body.

I believe that when I'm hungry it's my body's way of asking for fuel.  That is probably no great revelation to anybody but by fuel I mean nutrients.  The nutrients that my body needs to function the way it was designed to.  By nourishing my body with nutrient-dense foods I am meeting that need, enabling my body to do its job with ease, and I am satisfied.

When we fill up on foods of empty, or limited nutrition, the body continues to signal that it is hungry because it hasn't received what it needs.  This results in:
  • over-eating;
  • the body working harder, prioritising and compensating(*); and
  • stores of "fat" from foods of little nutrition because the body cannot use it and doesn't know what to do with it.
It makes sense.

Nutrient-dense eating = all round better function = a healthier, leaner and happier body!

(*) When we consume refined foods such as refined sugar which has been stripped of nutrients and essential digestive enzymes in the refinement process, the body pulls stored minerals (especially calcium) from the bones, tissues, and teeth in order to digest it.  This is called "leaching".
Source:  "The Science of Skinny" by Dee McCaffrey - chapter 4 "A Scientist's View of Sugar and Flour".




~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~
 
This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment