Saturday 3 August 2013

Making It From Scratch: Coconut Yoghurt

I like to have a daily dose of yoghurt for some probiotics in my diet.  When I did the detox program I had to cut out cow's dairy.  I found it difficult to buy yoghurt alternatives here in Darwin as the supermarkets do not sell these.  I did find one shop where I could buy yoghurt made from goat's milk, buffalo milk and coconut milk (Coyo).  I tried the Coyo and was hooked right away. It is delicious!  I enjoyed this for a couple of months but found it was quite expensive and unfortunately rather out of my way to go to this shop for regular supplies.  So I turned to Google once again to find out how I could make my own coconut yoghurt.
  This method is a combination of about three different methods I found.

You will need:
two microwave safe jugs
a thermos flask
a towel
an insulated bag
two cans of coconut cream
1 tbspn gelatine
a sugar/candy thermometer
3 tbspns natural yoghurt with live cultures  - I am currently using a plain cow's dairy yoghurt for this.  It's a fairly small percentage of the final product so will do me for now.

Take the plain yoghurt out of the fridge to sit for a few minutes and take the chill off it.
Preheat the thermos flask by filling it with boiling water.
Shake the cans of coconut cream.  Pour one can of coconut cream in to each jug.  Microwave one jug of cream on high for 45-60 seconds.  Meanwhile sprinkle the other jug of cream with the gelatine covering the top all over.  Let this sit for a moment then stir until the gelatine is dissolved.
 
Check the temperature of the heated cream. It should be 110ºF. Heat further in short bursts  (15 seconds) if necessary.
Once at the correct temperature pour most of the heated cream in to the gelatine mixture leaving about 1/4 cup. Stir. Into the remaining 1/4 cup of heated cream blend the natural yoghurt until smooth.
Add the blended mixture to the gelatine mixture and stir.
Check the temperature and heat again in short bursts (15 seconds) if required to ensure mixture is still at 110ºF.
Empty the hot water from the thermos flask and pour yoghurt mixture in. Wrap the thermos in a towel and place in the insulated bag. Allow the thermos to sit undisturbed for approx 8 hours or overnight.  Pour the yoghurt in to a container or jar and refrigerate.
Enjoy!

Quinoa porridge with coconut yoghurt, banana and mixed berries


~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~

This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment